DonorsChoose.org engages the public in public schools by giving people a simple, accountable, and personal way to address educational inequity. In this clip, board member Stephen Colbert tells our story.
We started years before crowdfunding was a word. To date, more than 3 million people and partners have donated $700 million to projects requesting books, field trips, technology, and other resources for more than
28 million students in public schools, overwhelmingly from low-income households. Along the way, the organization helped to pioneer the field of crowdfunding and is now making an impact beyond school supplies.
Thanks to its dedicated team and culture, DonorsChoose.org earned recognition as the #1 "Best Nonprofit to Work For" by the Nonprofit Times.
The Operations Department at DonorsChoose.org delivers on our organizational mission. We work directly with teachers, donors, and vendors to enable an effective, streamlined user experience, while collaborating daily with other teams to keep our programs running smoothly. As a key team within Operations, Project Content & Fulfillment is responsible for:
- Building scalable processes to ensure funded projects are fulfilled and materials are delivered to teachers without delay
- Developing external relationships to drive first-rate supplier performance, pricing, and partnerships
- Vetting each project request from teacher essay to shopping list, and deliver the rewarding final touch to funded projects: the donor thank-you
If you are motivated by our mission and excited to join a team that works hard everyday to make a difference, we want to hear from you!
The Business Relations Manager will be responsible for driving productive business relationships with our 20+ integrated vendors, and supporting the Business Relations team as a whole as it seeks to provide a best-in-class customer experience for our teachers. We are a data-obsessed, process-driven, results-oriented team that is always looking for new ways to improve our vendors’ processes and deliver on our promise to public school teachers.
You will create and prioritize strategies to gain efficiencies, improve vendor performance and identify potential opportunities to partner with vendors. You’ll provide regular feedback and work closely with vendors in the spirit of continuous improvement. You will be a strong advocate for DonorsChoose.org, the teachers we serve, and the vendors themselves, and will make sure that each group lives up to its promises and potential.
This position will report to the Director of Business Relations, and be part of a close-knit team of full-time and part-time employees on the larger Project Content & Fulfillment team.
The Manager will be responsible for Business Relations team priorities including:
- Building/maintaining positive and fruitful vendor relationships through regular communication and collaboration with account managers
- Creating, identifying and strategizing opportunities to put vendor resources toward projects that actively contribute to DonorsChoose.org goals and advocating for said projects, both internally and externally; developing informational content to share/promote new initiatives
- Holistically identifying, prioritizing and tracking performance issues and potential enhancements needed to support vendor health and improve the vendor experience for teachers; expeditiously resolving sensitive or urgent issues
- Constructing rationale that takes into account vendors’ business considerations and needs and makes it easy for them to advocate for DonorsChoose.org priorities internally
- Ensuring that vendors clearly understand performance metrics and expectations and are held accountable to them; providing regular performance feedback to vendors throughout the year; continuous analysis of vendor and project performance data; enforcing compliance to new/existing process and policy requirements
- Liaising regularly with direct customer support team to identify emerging customer support concerns and potential areas of vendor improvement; brainstorming ways to create effective, scalable solutions for quick resolution of issues
- Developing and codifying standard procedures, trainings, policies, and tools to strengthen the Business Relations team
- Helping Business Relations teammates identify potential areas for professional development; providing leadership, support and coaching to teammates
- Collaborating with the Partnerships and Business Development team to execute marketing initiatives for specific vendors and identify potential partnership opportunities; ensuring that vendors receive any resources needed to publicly support DonorsChoose.org campaigns
- Representing and giving voice to the Business Relations, Project Content & Fulfillment and/or Operations teams in organization-wide conversations and meetings to ensure that organizational goals are in alignment with team strategies
- Analyzing the impact of organizational and team initiatives on vendors; communicating with vendors to ensure their teams are prepared for campaigns and/or spikes in order volume
The right candidate shares our core values of: relentlessness, user focus, flexibility, ingenuity, teamwork, and transparency. We seek a team player who is/has:
- Extremely organized, thorough and detail-oriented; able to coordinate and prioritize multiple activities simultaneously
- Flexible and able to quickly adapt to a change in priorities
- Timely follow through to ensure parallel project plans maintain traction
- An innovative, problem-solving, solution-focused philosophy; belief in continuous improvement; and a customer-focused mindset
- Excellent quantitative and analytical skills
- Ability to identify inefficient processes and create and implement improved systems
- Mission-driven and self-motivated; able to achieve results with minimal supervision
- Seeks opportunities to give and receive feedback
- Strong computer literacy foundation
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office/Google Docs, particularly Excel/Sheets and PowerPoint/Slides; experience with Salesforce a plus
- Tech savvy, comfort in online environment and with data analysis programs; interest in learning new tools
- Exceptional speaking, writing, interpersonal, and presentation skills
- Ability to develop and maintain positive external relationships, while enforcing and advocating for DonorsChoose.org standards and priorities with finesse
- Comfortable creating written content to be shared among internal and external sources
- Experience managing people and partner relationships
- Eager to work in a fast-paced environment, flexible to meet team needs, and excited to take on challenges with a sense of humor
- A college degree and 5-7 years of related work experience (preferred)
Compensation and Benefits
DonorsChoose.org offers a competitive salary and benefits package that includes 100% employer paid health, dental, and vision coverage; a matching 401k plan (up to 5% of your salary); an annual professional development stipend; and 5 weeks paid vacation plus national holidays. To learn more about what it’s like to work for DonorsChoose.org, visit the careers page.
Please submit your application online. In your cover letter please describe a professional relationship you've built that helped you achieve or support your business goals. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until this position is filled.
A Final Note
The DonorsChoose.org team works toward a nation where students in every community have the resources needed for an excellent education. To do this, we hire and support a diverse team of the best and the brightest talent available.
We are an organization increasingly representative of the varied races and ethnicities, genders and sexual orientations, religious and political beliefs, and abilities that comprise our nation. DonorsChoose.org focuses on attracting, retaining, and advancing diverse talent because it makes us more effective, high-performing, creative, and resilient.
If you are passionate about our mission, highly skilled in your field, and looking for a place where you can bring all of yourself to work, we want you.